Friday, January 5, 2018

Noah, from this week’s readings

Despite this being a very familiar story, I had forgotten how difficult it must have been to be Noah. To be in the middle of the woods and fields, planting and harvesting crops, and God tells him to build a huge boat, with complete instructions, because He is going to destroy creation since "every inclination of the thoughts of man's heart was only evil all the time."
According to our reading, God was grieved and His heart was filled with pain. Yet He spoke to Noah and Noah listened.
Can you imagine how Noah's friends, possibly family and community must have mocked and made fun of him while he constructed a gigantic boat that just sat, 450 feet long, in a field?
It made me think. Do I allow the opinions, fascinations, culture and directions of those around me to influence my journey in life or do I listen for God to speak? That is my prayer today: Have mercy on me, O God. Blot out my transgressions and help me to hear your voice and spirit like Noah.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment