Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Crumbs and Minnows

It was a small creek down the street that rarely rose above 3 inches deep. Of course, if it came a big rain it might reach 5 inches deep. All the neighborhood kids used to go down to this creek and have fun. I can remember all of us kneeling down on the banks to scoop up small minnows that inhabited the tiny creek. They always seemed to slide out of our hands and safely back under the log that protected their home. I had no idea that my failure as a minnow fisherman would be a preamble to my lack of fishing talent. I just wasn't in that talent line.

Sitting in a Sunday school class at ten years old was also a challenge. Young minds tend to wander. But the Bible stories that were taught to me linger in my mind even more today. "Come, follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19) reminded me of those minnows. But people fishing? How could I catch a person? I understood after time what Jesus meant. I needed to tell others about Christ and what He has done for me was a start. Tell others how Jesus has made a difference in my life. And before long, I would be fishin': fishin' for people!

When I was a little older, I began to see larger fish and I watched in amazement how others just dropped a hook in the water, and those fish nearly jumped into the boat. Like I said, I wasn't in that talent line, but I could appreciate someone else's fishing talents! On the other hand, I could drop a hook in the water with a six course meal on it and the only thing I would catch would be a cold. So, it became obvious to me that my place was on the shore where my feet were dry and my hook wasn't caught on a tree branch.

Jesus preached many times to small groups and large groups. Most of the time He preached to folks who had followed Him and He felt compelled to lead them. One of His most famous sermons was given as He stood on a boat and thousands of people lined the shore to hear Him. I don't think it was a coincidence that He was bringing people to Christ in the place where they would fish. He was fishing for people and changing their lives forever.

But the hour was getting late and all who had listened were tired and hungry (Mark 6: 30-44). The disciples asked Jesus how to feed those five thousand people and Christ said to them, "You feed them." But they said there was no way. All they had were two fish and five loaves of bread. So Jesus took the fish and bread, blessed it, and fed the five thousand people! What a miracle! And then again, it was just the way of Jesus to provide for us all that we need. Consider the birds: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds (Luke 12:24)!

You know, it's amazing what God can do in your life if you let Him in to your heart. You can become a successful fisherman and have very little fishing talent. We all face our challenges everyday to bring others to Christ. And then I started thinking: Can I feed five thousand people with two fish and five loaves of bread? Of course the answer is no. But I can make a difference in the lives of people I know and even people that I don't really know. I can make a difference for them in the example of Christ-like living and in the way I deal with hardships. I can make a difference in how I talk to them and show love and compassion for them. The words that they hear me say; and the words I don't say. I can tell them about what Christ has done for me and what He can do for them! What a minute!!! I can fish like that! Even if I have no talent for fishing. With my simple, small life, I can make a difference. I can feed as many souls as I chose with just a few crumbs and minnows! Jesus performed a miracle with two fish and five loaves of bread. Well, I may just have some crumbs and a couple of minnows, but with God's blessing, I can feed the world! And that's a talent God wants all of us to stand in line for. So come one and come all! Take your crumbs and minnows and go change the world.....go fishing........one person at a time!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment